Flat Binaries for i386

Gary Partis gary@partis.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 01:04:00 GMT 2008


Hi

I am creating a large number of executables for i386 based systems (not a
standard PC, nor does it run an off-the-shelf operating system), and require
the binary executable to contain _all_ information required (and allocated
space) within the file.

This is not ordinarily a problem, using a linker script and stipulating a
'binary' output from the linker.

However, I'd like the BSS section to also be included in the file, as a
place holder, such that the file contains all areas of memory required by
the executable. All sections (text, data, read-only and bss) are
concatenated and not spread through memory.

The map file shows all address are correct, but I really do need the bss
section within the binary file.

How does one do this?

Thanks in advance.


-- 
Gary Partis
Partis Computing



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list