another problem

FX fxcoudert@gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 23:37:00 GMT 2008


Dear Eildert,

Once again, I stress that you will get more help by writing to  
relevant mailing-lists than by writing to an individual (especially  
one that has retired from the project). I've added gcc-help mailing- 
list in the CC list, please keep it in CC of your eventual replies, as  
people there can help you more than I can.

> unfortunately (for you) your name crops up again for another issue  
> that I was
> asking google about: I want to also create windows binaries of my  
> f90 code.
> This works most elegantly by replacing in the Makefile
> F90=gfortran by F90=wine gfortran
> and all of this on my standard linux machine.

You can also get a linux-to-windows cross compiler (ask about it on  
the gcc.gnu.org gcc-help mailing list or one of the mingw lists), or  
even build you own.

> So far  so good. This produces a 32bit binary whic I do need. But  
> now I would
> also need a 64 bit windows version. I thaught that -m64 would do the  
> trick,
> but its does not

The Win64 support in GCC is rather recent, and though it works quite  
well, it hasn't been "incorporated" with the existing system as is the  
case of other OSes: in short, for Win64 you need completely different  
compiler binaries (and assembler and linker) than for 32-bit Windows.  
Using -m64 on the 32-bit Windows compiler does not work, nor does  
using -m32 on the Win64 compiler.

Now, there are three types of compilers able to generate Win64  
executables:
   -- native Win64 compilers, but they probably won't run with Wine  
(which, AFAIK, doesn't support Win64)
   -- Win32 compilers generating Win64 code (cross-compilers), which  
you can run under Wine
   -- compilers running on linux and generating Win64 code: same as  
above, but without the need for Wine

Make your choice! People from the mingw-w64 project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64 
) will most certainly help you find adequate binaries whatever your  
choice is, if you ask them.

Regards,
FXC



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list