information about ld invocation and defaults ?

Dave Nadler Dave.Nadler@nadler.com
Sun Nov 23 16:51:00 GMT 2008

Thanks Andrew, comments and further notes below,
Best Regards, Dave

At 10:49 AM 11/23/2008, Andrew Haley wrote:
>Dave Nadler wrote:
> > Hi All - I'm a newbie with GCC and having a bit of a flail with
> > rebuilding and understanding GCC interaction with LD and "configured
> > default path" in the tools.

Sorry, should have clarified, I'm building a cross-compiler using
3.4.4 on cygwin for both build environment and target
compiler sources.

> > I'd like to see the exact parameters with which ld is invoked by GCC. I
> > added -wl,-t to the GCC line, and while this provides a lot of helpful
> > information, some info seems missing, in particular:
> > - exactly what is passed into ld as it is invoked ?
>
>gcc -v ...

Bingo ! Thanks, that really helps.

> > - ld cannot find "crt0.o"; OK tell me where did it look ?
>
>strace -f -etrace=file ld ...

C:\cygwin\bin\strace.exe: unknown option -- e

Can't ld provide this information ? Seems like it is generally helpful to
anyone trying to debug a link step ?

> > - ld cannot find "crt0.o"; OK tell me where it was given the requirement
> > to load it ?
>
>crt0 is the C RunTime startup.  No crt, no C.

Sure, but where did it get the requirement ? In this case the gcc -v option
shows me, but for more complex link steps...

> > - what is the definition of "sysroot prefix" for this build of ld ?
>
>I'm not sure that this question makes any sense.  The sysroot is
>usually used after binutils are built and installed, when gcc
>is built.

Right, but I'd like to be clear exactly what ld is trying to do
in the case of an existing build, and again after I builld it...

>I take it you're trying to cross-compile.  Have you installed
>a C library for your target?

Yup...
Thanks !

Dave Nadler, USA East Coast voice (978) 263-0097,  drn@nadler.com