information about ld invocation and defaults ?

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Sun Nov 23 16:23:00 GMT 2008

Dave Nadler wrote:
> Hi All - I'm a newbie with GCC and having a bit of a flail with
> rebuilding and understanding GCC interaction with LD and "configured
> default path" in the tools.
>
> I'd like to see the exact parameters with which ld is invoked by GCC. I
> added -wl,-t to the GCC line, and while this provides a lot of helpful
> information, some info seems missing, in particular:
> - exactly what is passed into ld as it is invoked ?

gcc -v ...

> - ld cannot find "crt0.o"; OK tell me where did it look ?

strace -f -etrace=file ld ...

> - ld cannot find "crt0.o"; OK tell me where it was given the requirement
> to load it ?

crt0 is the C RunTime startup.  No crt, no C.

> - what is the definition of "sysroot prefix" for this build of ld ?

I'm not sure that this question makes any sense.  The sysroot is
usually used after binutils are built and installed, when gcc
is built.

I take it you're trying to cross-compile.  Have you installed
a C library for your target?

Andrew.