Howto compile gcc-3.3.6 with gcc-4.1?

Sunil Amitkumar Janki devel.sjanki@gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:43:00 GMT 2007

Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>

>>  > Because I would like to build the recently released openjdk (and also
>>  > some still closed parts like the browser-plugin and some
>>  > motif-components) I would need a gcc-3.3 installation on my Fedora7
>>  > box.
>>
>> We use gcc 4.1 to compile OpenJDK.
>>
> The problems occur mainly in the motif-source which looks to be quite
> old-fashined C. I need to build this because I would like to fix a bug
> in the mozilla-plugin. All parts which build before Motif (hotspot)
> seem to work well with gcc-4.1.
>

>>  > However compiling gcc-3.3.6 with gcc-4.1.0 does not work, gcc-4.1
>>  > generates a lot of warnings and finally bails out with:
>>  > f/com.c: Auf höchster Ebene:
>>  > f/com.c:11080: Fehler: In Konflikt stehende Typen für »ffecom_gfrt_basictype«
>>  > f/com.h:236: Fehler: Vorherige Deklaration von »ffecom_gfrt_basictype« war hier
>>  > make[1]: *** [f/com.o] Fehler 1
>>
> I can try to translate:
>
>>  > f/com.c: On the highest Lebel
>>  > f/com.c:11080: Error conflicting types for: »ffecom_gfrt_basictype«
>>  > f/com.h:236: Error existing declaration of »ffecom_gfrt_basictype« was here
>>  > make[1]: *** [f/com.o] Error 1
>>

> However I don't think compiling gcc-3.3.6 with gcc-4.1 has a high
> success rate. Are there pre-compiled binaries available too, which can
> be installed side-by-side with the already existing build setup?
>
> Thank you in advance, lg Clemens

Hi Clemens,

I am trying to port the OpenJDK to Linux/SPARC first and Linux/MIPS
after that. Is it necessary to have gcc 3.3.6 in order to compile the Motif
portion of OpenJDK or can it be fixed to compile on gcc 4.1.2 as well?

You can try installing an older distribution in a virtual machine and
building gcc 3.3.6 inside it. Then you can transfer the packages to
your normal system. I have done this on my own system running
Slackware 12.0 and building gcc 3.4.6 on Slackware 11.0.

Sunil