Howto compile gcc-3.3.6 with gcc-4.1?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy@gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:05:00 GMT 2007


Hello Andrew,

>  > Because I would like to build the recently released openjdk (and also
>  > some still closed parts like the browser-plugin and some
>  > motif-components) I would need a gcc-3.3 installation on my Fedora7
>  > box.
>
> We use gcc 4.1 to compile OpenJDK.
The problems occur mainly in the motif-source which looks to be quite
old-fashined C. I need to build this because I would like to fix a bug
in the mozilla-plugin. All parts which build before Motif (hotspot)
seem to work well with gcc-4.1.

>
>  > However compiling gcc-3.3.6 with gcc-4.1.0 does not work, gcc-4.1
>  > generates a lot of warnings and finally bails out with:
>  > f/com.c: Auf höchster Ebene:
>  > f/com.c:11080: Fehler: In Konflikt stehende Typen für »ffecom_gfrt_basictype«
>  > f/com.h:236: Fehler: Vorherige Deklaration von »ffecom_gfrt_basictype« war hier
>  > make[1]: *** [f/com.o] Fehler 1
I can try to translate:
>  > f/com.c: On the highest Lebel
>  > f/com.c:11080: Error conflicting types for: »ffecom_gfrt_basictype«
>  > f/com.h:236: Error existing declaration of »ffecom_gfrt_basictype« was here
>  > make[1]: *** [f/com.o] Error 1

However I don't think compiling gcc-3.3.6 with gcc-4.1 has a high
success rate. Are there pre-compiled binaries available too, which can
be installed side-by-side with the already existing build setup?

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens


More information about the Gcc-help mailing list