Specs file help
James Trickel
james@dolphtech.com
Fri Oct 12 19:19:00 GMT 2007
Ok, let me clarify somethings:
1) libstdc++.so and libgcc_s.so are not development libraries
A) Ok, I understand this. These are/will not be available on my
deployed system, though.
2) C binaries have no dependency on libgcc_s
A) There was once a dependency on libgcc_s for C binaries but I
found on another website on how to tweak the 'specs' file to
prevent this. These C binaries work just fine on the deployed
system. With all other internal libraries being statically linked
in.
3) at the moment I am just trying to build our shared libraries and I am
hoping that I can remove the libstdc++ and the libgcc_s dependencies
from.
-James
On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 17:40 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> James Trickel writes:
> >
> > On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 15:23 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> > > James Trickel writes:
> > > > g++: v3.4.2
> > > > OS : Solaris 8 sparc
> > > > specs : see attached
> > > >
> > > > I am trying to compile c++ programs and shared libraries without the
> > > > libstdc++.so.6 and libgcc_s.so.1 dependencies.
> > >
> > > What for?
> >
> > The systems we are deploying to will not have development libraries.
>
> They aren't development libraries. They are essential runtime
> libraries. In particular, libgcc_s.so.1 cotains
>
> > > > # ldd *.so
> > > > libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6
> > > > libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
> > > >
> > > > # ldd (binary)
> > > > (same results as above)
> > > >
> > > > I have tweaked the /usr/local/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.2/specs
> > > > file before to remove the libgcc_s.so dependency by tweaking the
> > > > '*libgcc' line. Now the libgcc_s.so.1 dependency for binaries compiled
> > > > with 'gcc' have been removed.
> > > >
> > > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > How is that going to work? You *need* those libraries.
> >
> > Well, so far it has worked just fine with the binaries we created that
> > do not have the dependencies anymore.
>
> Let me see if I understand: you have somehow managed to create
> binaries that use C++ but still work without the C++ runtime library
> installed?
>
> So, what does 'ldd' on your executable say now?
>
> Andrew.
--
James Trickel <james@dolphtech.com>
ITT Dolphin
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list