Specs file help

Andrew Haley aph-gcc@littlepinkcloud.COM
Fri Oct 12 16:40:00 GMT 2007

James Trickel writes:

 > On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 15:23 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > James Trickel writes:
 > >  > g++: v3.4.2
 > >  > OS : Solaris 8 sparc
 > >  > specs : see attached
 > >  >
 > >  > I am trying to compile c++ programs and shared libraries without the
 > >  > libstdc++.so.6 and libgcc_s.so.1 dependencies.
 > >
 > > What for?
 >
 > The systems we are deploying to will not have development libraries.

They aren't development libraries.  They are essential runtime
libraries.  In particular, libgcc_s.so.1 cotains

 > >  > # ldd *.so
 > >  > libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6
 > >  > libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
 > >  >
 > >  > # ldd (binary)
 > >  > (same results as above)
 > >  >
 > >  > I have tweaked the /usr/local/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.2/specs
 > >  > file before to remove the libgcc_s.so dependency by tweaking the
 > >  > '*libgcc' line. Now the libgcc_s.so.1 dependency for binaries compiled
 > >  > with 'gcc' have been removed.
 > >  >
 > >  > Any ideas?
 > >
 > > How is that going to work?  You *need* those libraries.
 >
 > Well, so far it has worked just fine with the binaries we created that
 > do not have the dependencies anymore.

Let me see if I understand: you have somehow managed to create
binaries that use C++ but still work without the C++ runtime library
installed?

So, what does 'ldd' on your executable say now?

Andrew.