Missing file in GCC build

Tim Prince tprince@myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 1 05:14:00 GMT 2007

Noorez Kassam wrote:
> I am attempting to build the gcc system however, i received the
> following error on the 'make' stage of the build. Here is a snippet
> from the build progress..
>
> /bin/sh: cannot open kinds.h: No such file
> make[2]: *** [kinds.inc] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/noorez/Desktop/objdir/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgfortran'
> make[1]: *** [all-target-libgfortran] Error 2

If you search the archives of the gfortran mail list, you should see
discussion of several ways in which generation of kinds.h for
libgfortran has been seen to fail.  Almost certainly, this is a
consequence of a problem which should have been indicated earlier in
your build.  Correctly updating your gmp and mpfr installations is among
the necessary steps.  Among other things, the details depend on which
version of gcc it is, which you didn't care to reveal, and I would as
soon not hear about.