help building cross compilation ia32 to ia64

Tim Prince timothyprince@sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 16 14:21:00 GMT 2006

Kai Ruottu wrote:
> adheer chandravanshi wrote:
>> We want to build cross compiler ia32 to ia64.
> This normally means using the current native $build/$host GCC to compile
> the $target
> binutils and the $target GCC from their sources, the FSF GCC release
> sourcess being
> preferred.  The current ones are 'binutils-2.17' and 'gcc-4.1.1', but
> for a Linux target the
> "Linux binutils" sources, '2.17.90.0.something' at 'ftp.kernel.org' are
> recommended....

The choice between those may be debatable, but either should get you
started.
> Your 'ia64' or "Itanium" isn't very well supported in the Linux distros
> nowadays, the last I
> remember seeing among  the mainline distros is that "Red Hat Linux 7.1
> for ia64".   The
> 'amd64' or 'x86_64' 64-bit CPU has replaced it totally among the 64-bit
> PCs...  The WinNT4.0
> probably was the last Windoze for that too...
>
> Although your 'ia64-linux-gnu' Linux distro would be old, with
> 'glibc-2.2.2' or something,
Why this propaganda?  If you sincerely believe OP is confused between
x86-64 and ia64, say so or ask for clarification.  I don't see much
relevance of your opinion on "mainline distros" apparently excluding the
SuSE, RH, and Debian which are in widespread use.  OP presumably has a
target in mind.  I'm somewhat amazed by the contrast in your advice to
use a current release or newer version of binutils, but not to use
anything else from the last 3 years.  RH 4.3 or newer definitely have
advantages over earlier RH, aside from needing one of the binutils
upgrades you mentioned.