Advice about using SIMD extensions

Richard Beare Richard.Beare@csiro.au
Mon Feb 28 20:19:00 GMT 2005

Hi everyone,

I've done a few more experiments using various pieces of advice that
have come back from the list. They shed some light on the problems I've
been having.

Before I summarize the results I should mention that my initial
motivation for this was to improve arithmetic operations on images. Any
changes I propose would need to be compatible with our imaging libraries
in which an image is simply a 1D array.

The errors pointed out to me were:

1)  Use -march=pentium4 instead of -mcpu=pentium4

2) use
typedef float myvec __attribute__ ((vector_size (16)));

instead of

typedef int myvec __attribute__ ((mode(V4SF)));

The former is not compatible with newer versions of gcc (>3.4?).

These changes certainly improved the performance of the test I posted to
the list.

However when I went back to test my image arithmetic code with these
changes I found no difference.

I then did some more tests which are summarized in the attached graph -
These demonstrate, I think, that I was experiencing a cache problem with
my image code. The images I was experimenting with were 1600x1300, so
way to large to fit in cache.

I now need to do some thinking, and more advice would be appreciated.
I'm going to experiment with oprofile to see what it tells me, but
haven't done so yet.

I had always thought that accessing array elements in raster order
should be cache neutral, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not
sure what governs the size of the data being loaded into the cache.

Can anything be done about it without changing underlying data
structures in my code?

As an aside, can anyone recommend example macros for unrolling loops?

Thanks very much.

--
Richard Beare, CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Locked Bag 17, North Ryde, NSW 1670, Australia

Richard.Beare@csiro.au