GCJ problem with org.xml.sax package

S. Park kanzuri@gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 07:01:00 GMT 2005

I'm experiencing some strange behavior with a simple class compiled with
gcj 4.1 on FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.4 IA32. It compiles and runs as is, but if
I subclass anything in the package org.xml.sax (e.g. by uncommenting the
'extends' clause below), the executable seg faults. What's strange is
that I can instantiate objects of types in that same package within the
body of the main method. The problem only appears when subtyping. The
test class looks like this:

import java.util.HashMap;
import org.xml.sax.helpers.DefaultHandler;
import org.xml.sax.InputSource;

public class Foo // extends DefaultHandler
{
        public static void main(String argv[])
        {
                InputSource is = new InputSource();
                String enc = is.getEncoding();

                DefaultHandler dh = new DefaultHandler();

                try
                {
                        dh.startDocument();
                }