custom CPU porting : guidance please

Sriharsha sriharsha.v@redpinesignals.com
Mon Dec 20 06:17:00 GMT 2004

sashti srinivasan wrote:

>Hello,
>   I like to port complete gcc tool-chain including
>gas,gasp,ld,binutils... to a custom CPU.  May I
>request the mailing list the following:
>
>  (1)  I intend doing it as a single man during
>leisure time.  Please suggest me in approximately how
>much time (in terms of hours) can I expect this port
>to complete.

Difficult to suggest how long it would take. It depends on a lot of
things like your knowledge and experience with compilers, C language and
computer architecture, the architecture of the Processor and the
complexity involved. If it is similar to the standard processors, then,
the port is a fairly simple one.

>  (2)  Where can I find the documentation and other
>resources regarding how to do the port.

An excellant link is:
http://www.le-hacker.org/hacks/projects/microprocessor/compiler.html
And ofcourse, you always have the colossal documentation from gnu site.
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/gcc.html or something similar
Finally, last but not the least..... try this:
http://gcc.gnu.org/readings.html where you find links to lots of stuff::::
Of special interest among them is:
Porting GCC for Dunces by Hans-Peter Nilsson.

>  (3)  The goal is to port the tool-chain and build
>operating systems like RTEMS, Linux etc. for this CPU.

A good idea.

> I will be very thankful to receive some broad
>suggestions.

You are always welcome.

Sriharsha

--