Stl and g++ 2.91.66

Eljay Love-Jensen eljay@adobe.com
Tue Sep 30 11:37:00 GMT 2003

Hi Matias,

Versions of GCC before 3.x are not ISO 14882 (i.e., C++) compliant, because they preceded the C++ standard.

You cannot write compliant C++ code (especially ones that use C++ STL as per the standard, and other Standard C++ Library features) with those compilers.  You can only write a variation of C++ that existed in a state of flux before the standard was hammered out.

I recommend you plead your case to your teacher to adopt a more current -- and thus more compliant -- GCC.

It makes no sense to me to teach "pre-1998 C++".

Good luck,
--Eljay