"=rXX" asm constraints on powerpc?

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Sep 22 17:29:00 GMT 2003


On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 06:13:48PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> I want to implement system call stubs on PPC.  The code I want to end up
> this is the following ("tlbia" is really used as a slow system call here,
> that returns a pointer and three ints in r3 to r6):

I might just have misunderstood the wording in the gcc manual.  It seemed to
me that gcc doesn't guarantee me that a register I allocate for a local
variable is really used for that variable.  But the manual only says that it
is not tied to that variable _at all times_.  At some times, and I assume
now that at all times it matters to me (in the asm statement), it will be
tied to that variable.

In that circumstances, I can do what I want to do with local vars in the
right registers, without explicit mr instructions.

Thanks,
Marcus

-- 
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' GNU      http://www.gnu.org    marcus@gnu.org
Marcus Brinkmann              The Hurd http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/
Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list