Querry regarding g++ maximum file size

lrtaylor@micron.com lrtaylor@micron.com
Mon Nov 3 18:59:00 GMT 2003

Gagan,

If you want to create files larger than 2GB, you need to make sure that you're building on a file system that can support files larger than 2GB.  I believe that ext2 and ext3 file systems (the default Linux file systems) do NOT support files larger than 2GB, so you will simply not be able to do it there.  If you are using one of those two file systems, you will need to find an alternative that does support large files.  However, that is off topic for this list (though someone probably does know some alternatives - for example, I believe that the XFS file system can be built to support large files).

If you're sure you're working on a file system that does support large files and GCC still doesn't want to comply, then perhaps someone on the list knows if GCC is capable of doing that.

Cheers,
Lyle