Differences between Gnu gcc 2.95 and 3.1

Mark Pinnuck MarkPi@resmed.com.au
Mon Mar 3 21:29:00 GMT 2003

Many thanks for the reply.
I will go through the realse notes

Thanks
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: LLeweLLyn Reese [mailto:llewelly@lifesupport.shutdown.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 12:12 AM
To: Mark Pinnuck
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Differences between Gnu gcc 2.95 and 3.1

"Mark Pinnuck" <MarkPi@resmed.com.au> writes:

> We currently use Gnu gcc 2.95 to develop a C++ embedded bio medical
> application.
> Because this is a medical failsafe application we are investigating moving
> to Gnu gcc 3.1.
>
> Is there a document on the web or ether that gives a detailed discussion
of
> the differences between these compilers. I would like to reveiwe the
> difference so I can make a business case to move to the latest Gnu c++
> compiler.
[snip]

The first difference most people encounter is that gcc 3.1 treates the
    global namespace and the std namespace as two separate namespaces
    (which the standard requires). You may find yourself needing lots
    of using declarations and/or using directives.

Here are the release notes for 3.1:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.1/

Note that 3.2 is a bugfix on 3.1; the minor version number was changed
    only because a C++ ABI change was required to fix a bug.

Warning:  Copyright ResMed.  Where the contents of this email and/or attachment includes materials prepared by ResMed, the use of those materials is subject exclusively to the conditions of engagement between ResMed and the intended recipient.

This communication is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. By the use of email over the Internet or other communication systems, ResMed is not waiving either confidentiality of, or legal privilege in,the content of the email and of any attachments.
If the recipient of this message is not the intended addressee, please call ResMed immediately on  +61 2 9886 5000 Sydney, Australia.