Differences between Gnu gcc 2.95 and 3.1

LLeweLLyn Reese llewelly@lifesupport.shutdown.com
Mon Mar 3 13:14:00 GMT 2003

"Mark Pinnuck" <MarkPi@resmed.com.au> writes:

> We currently use Gnu gcc 2.95 to develop a C++ embedded bio medical
> application.
> Because this is a medical failsafe application we are investigating moving
> to Gnu gcc 3.1.
>
> Is there a document on the web or ether that gives a detailed discussion of
> the differences between these compilers. I would like to reveiwe the
> difference so I can make a business case to move to the latest Gnu c++
> compiler.
[snip]

The first difference most people encounter is that gcc 3.1 treates the
    global namespace and the std namespace as two separate namespaces
    (which the standard requires). You may find yourself needing lots
    of using declarations and/or using directives.

Here are the release notes for 3.1:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.1/

Note that 3.2 is a bugfix on 3.1; the minor version number was changed
    only because a C++ ABI change was required to fix a bug.