8 char filename problem...

LLeweLLyn Reese llewelly@lifesupport.shutdown.com
Fri Mar 21 23:39:00 GMT 2003

"Edward Byard" <ed@edwardbyard.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I use two versions of GCC on my system, to compile for m68k and Hitachi
> h8300h processors.

I'm not familiar with your configuration (I can't even tell what it
    is), however:

> My problem is that I cannot get files with longer than 8 characters in a
> filename to compile ("no rule to make target") on the Hitachi-compiling
> version.

This sounds more like a problem with make. Try writing a simple
    program with a 9-char file name, and compiling it directly from
    the command line, using only your gcc, not make.

> The GCC version I use for the m68k is much newer (it uses the cygwin1.dll)
> than for the Hitachi chip (which doesn't - don't ask why...it's what I was
> supplied).
>
> Is there a way around this? I'd like them both to use the same version (i.e.
> the one the m68k uses), but I already have libraries compiled under the
> older GCC version (and no source code for them either!).
>
> Also, how can I find out what version GCC they are both using?

gcc -v

It might be helpful if you could post the output of gcc -v.