Error compiling GCC 3.2.1

LLeweLLyn Reese llewelly@lifesupport.shutdown.com
Wed Jan 1 19:12:00 GMT 2003

Oliver Kullmann <O.Kullmann@Swansea.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have exactly the same problem (posted in also on this list,
> and sent an error report, but yet no answer).
[snip]

Unfortunately no one knows the answer. Here are some suggestions:

(a) Try getting a pre-built gcc 3.2.1 binary and building with that.

(b) Double check the versions of the tools you use to build
    gcc. 2.95.3 is probably solid, (I built 3.2.1 with 2.95.3 on
    FreeBSD, I know others have on other platforms.) so check your
    binutils versions first. If you have experimental/unofficial
    binutils, try replacing them. (Note: Some linux distros ship with
    experimental/unofficial binutils - so you may have them and not
    know it.)

(c) If you have a linux distro that builds everything with every
    optimization flag (e.g., mandrake, which uses -03 -fomit-frame-pointer
    -fexpensive-optimization -march=pentiumpro -mcpu=pentiumpro, and
    others I can't recall) try building gcc 2.95.3 without these
    optimizations, and use the new 2.95.3 for building 3.2.1 .

(d) Use 'make bootstrap4' instead of make bootstrap. This adds an
    additional stage; normally, the stage1 compiler builds the stage2
    compiler with the flags -g -O2. Using make bootstrap4, the stage1
    compiler builds the stage2 compiler with no optimization flags
    (reducing the chance that it will be miscompiled) and the stage2
    compiler builds the stage3 compiler with -g -O2.

(e) Try 'make BOOT_CFLAGS='-O' bootstrap ' or
    make BOOT_CFLAGS='-O0' bootstrap to build gcc with fewer
    optimizations.