variable-expression FORMAT specifier at ^ -- unsupported

Toon Moene toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl
Wed Jan 1 17:47:00 GMT 2003

Sparks, Jamie wrote:

>   I'm looking for a switch that will allow me to use my fortran code
>   unaltered.  It doesn't look as if g77 supports runtime formatting...
>   Is there a switch that can turn this on?  I've been over the docs and
>   didn't find anything...The compiler seems to be saying 'nope'.
>
>   thanks,
>
>   Jamie

>               ^
>
>   Variable-expression FORMAT specifier at (^) -- unsupported

This is an extension thought up by Digital Equipment Corporation when
they still were a major force in Fortran deployment and development
(i.e. 2 decades back).

It's very hard to support in a general sense - there's a nice discussion
going on on comp.lang.fortran on exactly *how hard* it is, including the
people who originally thought this up.

I'm sorry, g77 will never support this (and g95 most probably won't,
either).

I'm sorry.