don't have gcc for make, and no make for gcc

Rupert Wood me@rupey.net
Fri Dec 5 09:47:00 GMT 2003

Paul McDonough wrote up:

> I'm confused. If I had a C compiler, I wouldn't need "make".

If you're setting up GCC and make on a cygwin system then you should
download and install the cygwin binary distributions of GCC and make. These
should be part of the original install. You can't build either GCC or make
from sources without an existing, working C compiler. But you can build make
from sources without make itself - use the included build.sh script (or
similar).

Good luck,
Rup.