Question Re: make bootstrap failure -> libgcc.map: file format..

Clif Redding credding@cs.uwf.edu
Wed Sep 11 11:32:00 GMT 2002

Greetings!,
My situation is similar:

Platform=UltraSparc 250
OS=Solaris2.7
GCC ver. 3.1
binutils ver. 2.13 (by the way, according to the output from ls -i the
                    /usr/local/bin utilities are hard links to
                    the utilities in /usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/bin
                    because inode numbers are identical)
Gnu make ver. 3.79.1

Using configure with no options and then make bootstrap would fail with
the following messages:

/usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/bin/ld:libgcc/./libgcc.map: file format
not recognized; treating as linker script
/usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/bin/ld:libgcc/./libgcc.map:1: parse error
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Did a "make distclean" then a "../configure --with-ld=/usr/local/bin/ld
--with-as=/usr/local/bin/as" in my objdir. When I did a "make bootstrap"
the build process made it through the libgcc build with no problem.

Now my question is:
If the utilities in /usr/local/bin are hard links to the binutils in
/usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/bin, why did the first compile fail while
the second did it's thing with no problem?

Clif Redding

Also Known As:
(Officially)
Clif Redding
Computer Operations Manager, Computer Science
University of West Florida

(UN-Officially)
Unix System Administrator
Web Server Administrator
MicroSoft Windows NT/2000 System and Network Administrator
Network Manager
Database Manager
Oracle System Administrator
Sybase System Administrator