linux from scratch

Glen Kaukola glen@cert.ucr.edu
Thu May 23 16:14:00 GMT 2002

Hi,
  I'm about to undertake the whole "linux from scratch" method of
installing linux and wanted a little advice.  Besides wanting to learn
more about linux one of my motivations is to optimize my system as much as
possible.  To that end I was hoping to use gcc 3.1.  But I've been told
that this maybe isn't a good idea since applications won't build with 3.1.
So is that true?  Or will I have no problems using gcc 3.1?

  Also I was wondering what options I should give the compiler.  Will -O3
be ok or will that make my system unstable?  Are there any other options I
should consider using?

  Thanks in advance,
	Glen