Beginners Question

Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG keenwa@eglin.af.mil
Mon Apr 22 11:41:00 GMT 2002


I have had the best luck with the following procedure in Cygwin:

I create a directory called "objdir", and put my source file in there.  I
unzip and untar the sourcefile, and change
the name of the directory it went into to "srcdir".  So, now I have a
subdirectory under objdir of srcdir.  From
objdir, I do something like

srcdir/configure *whatever options you are using*
make bootstrap
make install

I tend to put my new versions of gcc in a directory I call "mygcc".  I do
this for probably bad reasons that If
I want to get rid of the new build of gcc, all I have to do is wipe out that
directory and its all gone, as opposed
to the /usr/local/ path.

I have built 3 series compilers for c, c++ and fortran successfully.  I have
done this on win98, 2000 and XP.
I have a little script file that has the latest options I used, If you need
it, I can send it to you.

What I have done is not original, I had a LOT....I do mean a LOT of help
from some people from this list.

Wayne Keen



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list