64-bit binaries?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Sat Feb 3 15:14:00 GMT 2001


On Feb  3, 2001, Clayton Vernon <cvernon@enron.com> wrote:

> I am using your GCC 2.95.2 (sunfreeware.com's pkg-add precompiled
> binaries) on Solaris 8, the OS in 64-bit mode. When I tyr to compile
> using the -mcpu=v9 -m64 options, I get an error message "m64 not
> suported for this machine) and when I delete the m64 I get multiple
> errors messages from the (Sun?) assembler /usr/ccs/as saying "can't use
> the v8 to build a v9 binary."

GCC 2.95.2 doesn't support sparcv9 yet.

> I'm worried I'm in a Catch-22- without a 64-bit assembler I can't get
> 64-bit code, but I can't "assemble" the 64- bit assembler without a
> 64-bit assembler.

The assembler is not part of GCC.  And you don't need it to run in
64-bit mode for it to be able to assemble 64-bit into 64-bit object
files.

-- 
Alexandre Oliva   Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Red Hat GCC Developer                  aoliva@{cygnus.com, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist    *Please* write to mailing lists, not to me


More information about the Gcc-help mailing list