gcc install as0 assembly Errors on Alpha EV6 CPU, Tru64 UNIX V5.0

Mansard, Roger Roger.Mansard@COMPAQ.com
Tue Feb 29 09:42:00 GMT 2000


Assembly errors on as0 while attempting to install gcc version v2.95
or v2.95.2

Version 2.7.2.3 compiles, installs and works OK. 
Neither v2.8.1 nor v2.95 will compile.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz (size 12973458)
I start it:
  # ./configure
  # ./make bootstrap

While compiling gcc v2.95 on a Compaq XP1000 EV6 CPU, Tru64 UNIX
V5.0,  I get the following message:  

as0: Error: ./libgcc2.c, line 4: instruction not available in selected
architecture model
      itoft $2,$f0
as0: Error: ./libgcc2.c, line 4: instruction not available in selected
architecture model
      itoft $16,$f12

Checked my processor type:
Status of processor 0 as of: 02/24/00 11:15:11
  Processor has been on-line since 02/21/2000 17:51:33
  The alpha EV6 (21264) processor operates at 500 MHz,
 and has an alpha internal floating point processor.

The  compile string:

make GCC_FOR_TARGET="./xgcc -B./ -B/usr/local/alphaev6-dec-osf5.0/bin/
-I/usr/local/alphaev6-dec-osf5.0/include"  AR_FOR_TARGET="ar"
AR_FLAGS_FOR_TARGET="rc"  CC="gcc" CFLAGS="-g "  HOST_PREFIX=""
HOST_PREFIX_1="loser-"  LANGUAGES="c "  LIBGCC2_CFLAGS="-O2   -DIN_GCC
-DHAIFA    -g  -I./include   -g1  -DIN_LIBGCC2
-D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED   " libgcc2.a
if [ -f fixhdr.ready ] ; then  true;  else  touch fixhdr.ready;  fi
if [ -f libgcc2.ready ] ; then  true;  else  touch libgcc2.ready;  fi
rm -f tmplibgcc2.a
for name in _muldi3 _divdi3 _moddi3 _udivdi3 _umoddi3 _negdi2  _lshrdi3
_ashldi3 _ashrdi3 _ffsdi2  _udiv_w_sdiv _udivmoddi4 _cmpdi2 _ucmpdi2
_floatdidf _floatdisf  _fixunsdfsi _fixunssfsi _fixunsdfdi _fixdfdi
_fixunssfdi _fixsfdi  _fixxfdi _fixunsxfdi _floatdixf _fixunsxfsi
_fixtfdi _fixunstfdi _floatditf  __gcc_bcmp _varargs __dummy _eprintf
_bb _shtab _clear_cache _trampoline __main _exit  _ctors _pure;  do
echo ${name};  ./xgcc -B./ -B/usr/local/alphaev6-dec-osf5.0/bin/
-I/usr/local/alphaev6-dec-osf5.0/include -O2   -DIN_GCC -DHAIFA    -g
-I./include   -g1  -DIN_LIBGCC2 -D__GCC_FLOAT_NOT_NEEDED    -I. -I.
-I./config -I./../include -c -DL${name}  -DUSE_COLLECT2 ./libgcc2.c -o
${name}.o;  if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then true; else exit 1; fi;  ar rc
tmplibgcc2.a ${name}.o;  rm -f ${name}.o;  done


The 21264/EV6 Specifications shows that ITOFT is a valid instruction for
an EV6
itof   L0, L1   ITOFS, ITOFF, ITOFT (int to float)

>From running ./config, it sees the processor correctly ->
-B/usr/local/alphaev6-dec-osf5.0/bin/

I added a  -mcpu=ev6 in the compile string but no help...

The compile from start goes a long way before the above error
shows up.

Thanks in advance for your help...
Roger.Mansard@Compaq.com  :)


More information about the Gcc-bugs mailing list