[Patch, fortran] PR20541 - allocatable components (TR15541)
Tobias Burnus
burnus@net-b.de
Fri Oct 6 15:35:00 GMT 2006
Hi,
Tobias Schlüter wrote:
> (As an aside, I wonder if we should allocate temporaries on the stack
> instead of the heap, as we do currently. Going via a compiler builtin
> may be more transparent to the optimizers.)
I'm in principle in favour of using the stack as it should be faster,
however, for bigger automatic arrays, using the heap should be better, I
think. (I don't know how to distinguish between "small" and "large" at
compile time, however.)
The Intel Compilers really likes to use the stack -- with the side
effect that on systems it crashes when the stack-size is exceeded, which
can be very hard to find the cause, if you don't remember to use 'ulimit
-s unlimited".
But as it is supposed to be faster ...
Cf.
http://softwareforums.intel.com/ISN/Community/en-US/forums/post/116178.aspx
Tobias
More information about the Fortran
mailing list