[attn Steering Committee] proposed message to assign@gnu.org

OK, I was thinking of sending the following to assign@gnu.org and/or
whoever else was appropriate -- but I decided instead to offer it
to the Steering Committee, who can send it, or a modified version of it, on
if they feel it's appropriate.

--

The GCC maintainers accept a lot of contributions.  We need a way
to determine which contributions/contributors are covered by appropriate

Currently, we've generally just been asking people if they're covered.
Thinking about it, this does not seem sufficiently careful. (Is it?)

If it's not, how should we proceed?  To be on the really safe side, it seems
like we would have to contact assign@gnu.org for *every* individual
contribution to check that it was properly covered, which seems like an
inordinate amount of work for both you and us.

Is there some easier way?  Some way part of this could be automated,
perhaps?  Perhaps an up-to-date list of some of the people with open-ended
GCC copyright assignments (perhaps those people who agreed to have their
names released) could be made accessible to people with GCC CVS commit
rights, or just to those people with approval rights?

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>
US citizens: if you're considering voting for Bush, look at these first: