RE: build problems on i686-pc-cygwin

You need to configure with --with-included-gettext and delete the texinfo
directory from the checkout.

The next thing you will run into is registry entry point problems (maybe
this is only in cygwin 1.1.7).  For this you will need to configure
with --disable-win32-registry.

These two should get you to the libffi point, where the patch posted in the
last few days should clear up.  I have not yet done this, so I don't know
what's next ;->

paul