This is the mail archive of the
java-patches@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the Java project.
Re: Patch for Review: PR/9254 and other Win32 Threading Fixes
- From: "Ranjit Mathew" <rmathew at hotmail dot com>
- To: java-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:44:33 +0530
- Subject: Re: Patch for Review: PR/9254 and other Win32 Threading Fixes
- Bcc:
Ranjit> Sorry! (And Tom would also chide me for not including a "Fixes
Ranjit> PR java/9254" in the ChangeLog - Sorry again!)
This particular patch didn't apply cleanly. I don't know why, but in
the end I had to do some hand editing, which is a pain. I double
checked my work, but the potential for error still remains. Could you
check too?
:-(
I checked it and it looks OK to me. Awfully sorry for the trouble.
I generate my patches using "diff -u2" against the 3.3 snapshot
that I have, type out my mail message, feed the *entire message
as is* to "patch --dry-run -E -p0" against a clean snapshot, verify
that the CVS copy hasn't changed since, and then post it. And it
*still* doesn't apply cleanly... :-(
In a ChangeLog entry, before each line is a tab, not some number of
spaces. That's pretty pedantic, I know, but I always notice it
instantly due to Emacs font-lock. I've been making this change before
checking in your changes, but hopefully it wouldn't be hard for you to
change this before submitting.
This is caused by my default vi expandtab setting. This is easy
to correct. The ChangeLog standards from the GCC Coding Standards
document don't bother to tell me about this though:
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_40.html
In the future, I'll only use TABs in the ChangeLogs.
Finally, the particular format you've been using to submit patches is
one of the most difficult ones for me to deal with. I have to edit
your message before I can apply the patch. I'd find it *much* more
convenient if the ChangeLog entry run through `clcleanup' first, or
even if it were just part of the patch. As it is, if I use my
mailer's key binding to directly apply your patch, I wind up with the
whole patch in the ChangeLog (as we saw with a fastjar patch last
week, bleah).
:-(
I am assuming that you're talking of these utils:
http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/cvs-utils/cvs-utils/
in which case, I'll get them and see if they make my patches
more amenable to "commit-from-email".
I also think that you should update the following page:
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/contrib.html
since as far as I can tell, except for "diff -u2" v/s "diff -up",
my posts have been following the guidelines in the "Submitting
Patches" section.
Apologies once more for the trouble I have been causing you!
Sincerely Yours,
Ranjit.
_________________________________________________________________
Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail