Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT

On Sun, 2019-12-29 at 22:30 +0100, Thomas Koenig wrote:
> Am 29.12.19 um 14:26 schrieb Segher Boessenkool:
> > We cannot waste a year on a social experiment.  We can slowly and carefully
> > adopt new procedures, certainly.  But anything drastic isn't advisable imo.
> >
> > Also, many GCC developers aren't familiar with Git at all.  It takes time
> > to learn it, and to learn new ways of working.  Small steps are needed.
>
> Amen to that.
>
> My uses of git have can be counted in a single digit (in decimal).  I am
> just hoping you guys know what you are doing, and I am a bit
> apprehensive about the change and my continued ability to contribute.
>
> Talk of a radical new development model does not raise my confidence.
I was fairly anti GIT for a while, but there's simplistic workflows you
can use which will be close enough to SVN that you're really just
changing the commands you're using, not your entire workflow.

You can add in "git specific" workflows later as you've become familiar
with the basics.  That's what I did, and boy once you wrap your head
around git rebase for dealing with work in progress it's a game
changer.

jeff