Re: Commit messages and the move to git

Hi,

on 2019/11/4 下午6:29, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
> With the move to git fairly imminent now it would be nice if we could agree on a more git-friendly style of commit messages; and, ideally, start using them now so that the converted repository can benefit from this.
>
> Some tools, particularly gitk or git log --oneline, can use one-line summaries from a commit's log message when listing commits.  It would be nice if we could start adopting a style that is compatible with this, so that in future commits are summarized in a useful way.  Unfortunately, some of our existing commits show no useful information with tools like this.
>
> Eg.
>
> git log --oneline
> 2b70dbd64b5 (HEAD -> master, origin/trunk, origin/master, origin/HEAD) 2019-11-01  Kewen Lin  <linkw@gcc.gnu.org>
> 29f4f5f13b9 [C++ PATCH] cleanup check_field_decls
> 0f931fb75ae 2019-11-01  Kewen Lin  <linkw@gcc.gnu.org>
> e9c4da22199 OpenMP] use_device_addr/use_device_ptr with Fortran allocatable/pointer arrays
> 377311a90fa 2019-11-01  Kewen Lin  <linkw@gcc.gnu.org>

Sorry for the awful commit messages and thanks a lot for raising this up to stop me from stumbling continuously.

I just updated all my svn commit comments by "svn propedit svn:log --revprop -r N --editor-cmd vim",
but I guess it won't help any more if the upcoming git repo will come from some existing mirror?

BR,
Kewen