Commit messages and the move to git

With the move to git fairly imminent now it would be nice if we could agree on a more git-friendly style of commit messages; and, ideally, start using them now so that the converted repository can benefit from this.

Some tools, particularly gitk or git log --oneline, can use one-line summaries from a commit's log message when listing commits. It would be nice if we could start adopting a style that is compatible with this, so that in future commits are summarized in a useful way. Unfortunately, some of our existing commits show no useful information with tools like this.

Eg.

git log --oneline
2b70dbd64b5 (HEAD -> master, origin/trunk, origin/master, origin/HEAD) 2019-11-01 Kewen Lin <linkw@gcc.gnu.org>
29f4f5f13b9 [C++ PATCH] cleanup check_field_decls
0f931fb75ae 2019-11-01  Kewen Lin  <linkw@gcc.gnu.org>
e9c4da22199 OpenMP] use_device_addr/use_device_ptr with Fortran allocatable/pointer arrays
377311a90fa 2019-11-01  Kewen Lin  <linkw@gcc.gnu.org>
cc286dd8517 Daily bump.
8e87e30df8d Regenerate libstdc++ HTML docs
fad04d507e0 Add remaining changes from P1065R2 "constexpr INVOKE"
d5e4b5a17de Partial implementation of C++20 of <ranges> header
345d712f776 Test --help=common for full sentences
a737cc23c15 PR preprocessor/92296 * internal.h (struct def_pragma_macro): Add is_builtin bitfield. (_cpp_restore_special_builtin): Declare. * init.c (_cpp_restore_special_builtin): New function. * directives.c (do_pragma_push_macro): For NT_BUILTIN_MACRO set is_builtin and don't try to grab definition. (cpp_pop_definition): Use _cpp_restore_special_builtin to restore builtin macros.
e9c843f92f6 2019-10-31  Jozef Lawrynowicz  <jozef.l@mittosystems.com>
d7069e154ee [AArch64] Fix g++.target/aarch64/sve/vcond_1_run.C
ae5f034c085 [AArch64] Split gcc.target/aarch64/sve/vcond_4*

As you can see, some of these are useful and give a good summary of the patch, others only tell me who committed the patch, which is less than useful. In other cases almost the entire ChangeLog entry gets printed because there is no blank line to tell git where the end of the summary lies.

The normal convention in git is that the one line summary is essentially the subject line of the email message that describes the patch and is then followed by a blank line before the body of the commit message.

R.