This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Good news, bad news on the repository conversion
- From: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- To: Eric Raymond <esr at thyrsus dot com>
- Cc: gcc Mailing List <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Mark Atwood <fallenpegasus at gmail dot com>
- Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 12:08:57 +1000
- Subject: Re: Good news, bad news on the repository conversion
- References: <20180709002754.962F43A4AA7@snark.thyrsus.com>
Thanks for the update.
On Mon, Jul 9, 2018, 10:28 AM Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
> There is good news bad news on the GCC repository conversion.
>
> The good news is that I have solved the only known remaining technical
> problem in reposurgeon blocking the conversion. I've fixed the bug
> that prevented execute permissions from being carried by branch
> copies.
>
> The bad news is that my last test run overran the memnory capacity of
> the 64GB Great Beast. I shall have to find some way of reducing the
> working set, as 128GB DD4 memory is hideously expensive.
>
> The only remaining software issue is that I need to figure out what
> should be done with your mid-branch deletes. When they're followed by
> a branch copy the combination is probably best expressed as a merge
> to the target branch. I need to audit to see if there are other
> cases.
>
> Alas, this continues to be a slow and grindingly difficult job.
> --
> <a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>
>
> Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and
> strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a
> woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.
> -- L. Neil Smith
>