This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Moving to git
- From: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>, Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, "gcc\ at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 10:22:22 +0200
- Subject: Re: Moving to git
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55D61512 dot 8010002 at redhat dot com> <55D61B23 dot 3000309 at redhat dot com> <55D63403 dot 4000603 at redhat dot com> <20150824081741 dot GB9425 at tucnak dot redhat dot com>
Jakub Jelinek <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> And for those really identifying them by sha1 hashes is significantly
> worse than using monotonically increasing small number, sha1 hashes
> are impossible to remember, and you don't know what is earlier and
> what is later from just looking at it.
git describe gives you such a number (relative to a tag).
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, email@example.com
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE 1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."