Re: Moving to git

On 08/21/2015 10:38 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> writes:
On 08/21/2015 04:26 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
Can we limit the namespace one can create branches in?  Like force all
branches created by $user to be in namespace $user?

git will create new namespaces for its own purpose in the future.  If
you allow arbitrarily named namespaces clashes will happen.

I had been thinking of "namespace" as a subdirectory of refs/heads. But now I see that there is something called "namespace" in git. Where did you see that git was going to claim certain namespace names? git help namespaces doesn't suggest anything like that.

We can't control what 'git clone' pulls by default.

close pulls everything below refs/heads by default.

Yes; my point was that you can't change that except with --single-branch. But if we encourage people to use personal git namespaces, then they won't be under refs/heads, so they won't be pulled by default.

Jason