Re: Moving to git

On 08/20/2015 06:32 PM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 03:31:52PM -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
If we're going to migrate to git (I hope so), can we also please
*slightly* revise the policy on commit messages, to add meaningful
titles to commits?

Currently:
https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/svnwrite.html#checkin says:

"The log message for that checkin should be the complete ChangeLog entry
for the change."

and the subsection "Commit the changes to the central repository" below
https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/svnwrite.html#example
has an example showing this.

In the git world, the first line of the commit message has special
meaning, being treated as the "title" of the commit.

It would be nice if we could use a real commit message, not just a short
title line; for example, people who prepare their patches in git already
have that, and use it with format-patch as you say.

I think that's what David was suggesting; a short title line, followed by a blank line, followed by a more substantive commit message.

This change doesn't need to be tied to the git transition; it could happen either before or after.

And many bonus points
if we don't have to repeat the changelog in the commit message (it's in
the commit already, the bugzilla hook could just pull it from out there).

Or we could have another discussion about if we want to have changelogs
at all...

That's a good question, but I think it's definitely independent.

Jason