This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

About loop unrolling and optimize for size


Hi
I'm using an ARM thumb cross compiler for embedded systems and always do optimize for small size with -Os.

Though I've experimented with optimization flags, and loop unrolling.

Normally loop unrolling is always bad for size, code is duplicated and size increases.

Though I discovered that in some special cases where the number of iteration is very small, eg a loop of 2-3 times,
in this case an unrolling could make code size smaller - eg. losen up registers used for index in loops etc.

Example when I use the flag "-fpeel-loops" together with -Os I will 99% of the cases get smaller code size for ARM thumb target.

Some my question is how unrolling works with -Os, is it always totally disabled,
or are there some cases when it could be tested, eg. with small number iterations, so loop can be eliminated?

Could eg. "-fpeel-loops" be enabled by default for -Os perhaps? Now its only enabled for -O2 and above I think.

Thanks and Best Regards
Fredrik


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]