Re: testing policy for C/C++ front end changes

On 11/11/2014 02:05 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
  On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Sandra Loosemore
<sandra@codesourcery.com> wrote:
On 11/10/2014 05:03 AM, Richard Biener wrote:

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:

On 11/09/14 16:13, Sandra Loosemore wrote:

https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#testing

and noticed that the policy is to require a complete bootstrap for C
changes, but not for C++.  Given that GCC's implementation language is
now C++, isn't that backwards?  I'm not trying to weasel out of the
extra work for my patch, just curious if the web site guidelines have
gotten bit-rotten after the switch to C++, or if the SC did indeed
consider the issue already and the published policy is accurate.

They've bit-rotted a bit.  Interested in cons-ing up an update?

Bootstrap should now be required for both C and C++ FE changes
_and_ for libstdc++ changes as well given we start to pull in
libstdc++ headers during bootstrap.

Hmmmm.  How about the attached patch?  I also added a blurb about
target-specific patches that I think reflects current practice.

I think you need to retain the fact that one needs to bootstrap, not just
build GCC.  Thus "If your change is to code that is not in a front
end, or is to the C or C++ front ends or <code>libgcc</code> or
<code>libstdc++</code>
libraries, you must perform a bootstrap of GCC with all languages enabled
by default, on at least one primary target,  and run all testsuites."

Ok with that change.

I think I'll have to leave the policy rewriting to somebody else, then, because I don't understand what to do about patches to a back end that cannot be bootstrapped (e.g., a bare-metal or embedded target where GCC is normally built as a cross, or where the patch submitter only has a simulator available for testing, etc).

-Sandra