Re: GCC 4.7.0RC: Mangled names in cc1

Hi,

I believe this is not intentional, right?

No, this is intentional. We bootstrap the compiler using the C++ front-end now. We build stage1 with the C compiler and then build stages 2 and 3 with the C++ compiler.

OK.

However, this means that plug-ins must now be built with g++, except
when GCC was configured with --disable-build-poststage1-with-cxx.  This
seems difficult to deal with, for plug-in writers.

Iâm really concerned about the maintenance difficulties that this change entails for external plug-ins.

does this mean that if built with --disable-bootstrap then symbols aren't mangled, while otherwise they are? I personally don't mind if symbols are mangled or not, but it would be simpler if symbols can be relied upon to always be mangled, or always not be mangled...

I guess I could work around it by detecting at build time whether the targeted
gcc has mangled symbols, and using extern "C" only if not mangled.  It would
help if there was a simple way to ask gcc if it is using mangled symbols or not.

Ciao, Duncan.