Re: GCC 4.7.0 Status Report (2011-09-09)

> On 09/09/2011 03:09 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
>> Status
>> ======
>>
>> The trunk is in Stage 1, which, if we follow roughly the 4.6
>> release schedule, should end around end of October.
>> At this point I'd like to gather the status of the various
>> development branches that haven't been merged into trunk yet
>> and whether it is possible to merge them with such a schedule
>> or whether e.g. a two weeks delay would help them.
>> In particular, is transactional-memory branch mergeable within
>> a month and half, at least some parts of cxx-mem-model branch,
>> bitfield lowering?  What is the status of lra, reload-2a, pph,
>> cilkplus, gupc (I assume at least some of these are 4.8+ material)?
>>
> LRA is a long project.  At the best case it will be ready for 4.8 but
> most probably for 4.9.

There are some LTO bits I would still like to be done for 4.7, so we
get it ready for production at least for some packages.  We discusse
dthis briefly with Richard/Michael/Martin and generally most improtant
seems to be:

1) Making -g not ICE and hopefuly produce useable debug info
   (-g works relatively well for C, so it would make LTO useful to build
    i.e. command line tools/binutils etc. that might by itself bring
    interesting speedups given that binnaries shrink.)
2) Adding sane method for handling command line options
3) Slim LTO
4) Solving the COMDAT problems with plugin API
5) There are still some bugs in symbol table handling

We plan to work on those, but any help is apprechiated.
2-5 are obviously all doable before end of october.

Honza