RE: [RFC] Cleaning up the pass manager

Hi Diego,

Thanks a lot for doing this! I was a bit sad not to be able to continue
this work on pass selection and reordering but I would really like to see GCC pass
manager improved in the future. I also forwarded your email to the cTuning mailing list
in case some of the ICI/MILEPOST GCC/cTuning CC users would want to provide
more feedback.

By the way, one of the main reasons why I started developing ICI many years ago
was to be able to query GCC to tell me all available passes and then just use arbitrary
selection and order of them for the whole program (IPO/LTO) or per function similar to
what I could easily do with SUIF in my past research on empirical optimizations
and what can be easily done in LLVM now. However, implementing it was really not easy
because:

* We have non-trivial (and not always fully documented) association between flags and passes,
i.e. if I turn on unroll flag which turns on several passes, I can't later reproduce
exactly the same behavior if I do not use any GCC flags but just try to turn on
associated passes through pass manager.

* I believe that original idea of the pass manager introduced in GCC 4.x was to keep
a simple linked list of passes that are executed in a given order ONLY through documented
functions (API) and that can be turned on or off through the attribute in the list -
this was a great idea and was one of the reasons why I finally moved to GCC from Open64 in 2004.
However, I was a bit surprised to see in GCC 4.some explicit if statements inside pass manager
that enabled some passes (for LTO) - in my opinion, it kills the main strength of the pass manager
and also resulted that we had troubles porting ICI to the new GCC 4.5.

* Lack of a table with full dependency info for each pass that can tell you at each stage of
compilation, which passes can be selected next. I started working on that at the end of last
year to get such info semi-empirically and also through the associated attributes (we presented
preliminary results at GROW'10: http://ctuning.org/dissemination/grow10-08.pdf section 3.1),
however again it was just before I moved to the new job so I couldn't finish it ...

* Well-known problem that we have some global variables shared between passes
preventing arbitrary orders

By the way, just to be clear, this is just a feedback based on the experience of my colleagues
and myself and I do not want to say that these are the most important things for GCC right now
(though I think they are in a long term) or that someone should fix it particularly since right
now personally I am not working in this area, so if someone thinks that it's not important/useless/obvious,
just skip it ;) ... I now see lots of effort going on to clean up GCC and to address some of the
above issues so I think it's really great and I am sad that I can't help much at this stage.
However, before moving to a new job, I released all the tools from my past research at cTuning.org
so maybe someone will find them useful to continue addressing the above issues ...

Cheers,
Grigori

By the way, here is some very brief feedback about why I needed for my reseafrom the R&D we did
at the beginning of this year just before I moved to the new job:
*