Re: GCC 4.3.4 is casting my QImode vars to SImode for libcall

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Joern Rennecke <amylaar@spamcop.net> wrote:

> I think it is also a reflection of an 'all the world is (at least) 32 bit'
> attitude - in part supported by the GNU coding standard as it was then
> aimed at making an easily maintainable workstation / server operating
> system.
> I.e. the C "int" type was assumed to be 32 bit. ÂAnd gcc stood for
> 'GNU C compiler' - and C has type promotion rules that mean you don't need
> to convert floating point from/to integer types narrower than int.

I can't understand those statements in the sense that GCC was meant to
be a generic compiler framework therefore having code tying GCC to
specific archs should be specific in the manual or elsewhere. I have
yet to understand what's the position of the GCC committee (or whoever
has the ultimate word on this) thinks. Is GCC slowly losing support
for certain archs or it is still striving to be as generic as
possible?

--
PMatos