Re: GCC 4.3.4 is casting my QImode vars to SImode for libcall

Quoting "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos@gmail.com>:

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Joern Rennecke <amylaar@spamcop.net> wrote:

I think it is also a reflection of an 'all the world is (at least) 32 bit' attitude - in part supported by the GNU coding standard as it was then aimed at making an easily maintainable workstation / server operating system. I.e. the C "int" type was assumed to be 32 bit. ÂAnd gcc stood for 'GNU C compiler' - and C has type promotion rules that mean you don't need to convert floating point from/to integer types narrower than int.

I can't understand those statements in the sense that GCC was meant to be a generic compiler framework therefore having code tying GCC to specific archs should be specific in the manual or elsewhere.

I was merely trying to give some historical context to help interpret what that SImode check should really be.

Is GCC slowly losing support
for certain archs or it is still striving to be as generic as
possible?

GCC looses and gains support for architectures depending on the availability of competent volunteer maintainers for these architectures. Of course, 'volunteer' in this context can also mean that a company volunteers to employ / contract with a developer to do this work.