Re: bitfields: types vs modes?

We seem to have dropped this discussion.  I now have *two* customers
asking for this functionality.  Can we pick it up again?  We need to
decide:

1. If the functionality will be allowed in gcc at all

2. What info the target needs to be provided to make the choices it wants

3. What, if any, common code can be shared between the CPUs