Re: Rant about ChangeLog entries and commit messages

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 20:54 -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Dec  3, 2007, kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) wrote:
>
> > In my view, ChangeLog is mostly "write-only" from a developer's
> > perspective.  It's a document that the GNU project requires us to
> produce
> > for
>
> ... a good example of compliance with the GPL:
>
>   5. Conveying Modified Source Versions.
>
>     a) The work must carry prominent notices stating that you modified
>     it, and giving a relevant date.

(Minor quibble) As copyright owner of GCC, the FSF is not bound by the
conditions of the licence it grants in the same way as licencees are
bound. So I don't think this provision in itself would mandate that
those who have copyright assignments to the FSF record their changes.

I don't hear anyone arguing that people should not record what they
changes and when. The question is whether it is sufficient.

I just started using git locally, and I keep thinking it would be really
great to have something like "git blame" for gcc. The command "git
blame" gives you a listing of who changed each line of the file and
when, and also gives the commit id. From that all can be revealed.

> FWIW, I've used ChangeLogs to find problems a number of times in my 14
> years of work in GCC, and I find them very useful.  When I need more
> details, web-searching for the author of the patch and some relevant
> keywords in the ChangeLog will often point at the relevant e-mail, so
> burdening people with adding a direct URL seems pointless to me.  It's
> pessimizing the common case for a small optimization in far less
> common cases.

This may possibly work when the mailing list entries exist and are
accessible.

However they are only available AFAIK from 1998. GCC has been going for
2-3 times as long as that. And there is at least one significant gap:
February 2004 up to and including this message
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2004-02/msg02288.html.

In my experience, when documentation is not stored with the source code,
it often gets lost.

When a person is offline the mailing list htmls are not available.

I have an idea to resolve this that I am working on... more in due
course if it comes to anything.

Tim Josling