Re: Rant about ChangeLog entries and commit messages

On Dec  3, 2007, kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) wrote:

> In my view, ChangeLog is mostly "write-only" from a developer's
> perspective.  It's a document that the GNU project requires us to produce
> for

... a good example of compliance with the GPL:

  5. Conveying Modified Source Versions.

    a) The work must carry prominent notices stating that you modified
    it, and giving a relevant date.

FWIW, I've used ChangeLogs to find problems a number of times in my 14
years of work in GCC, and I find them very useful.  When I need more
details, web-searching for the author of the patch and some relevant
keywords in the ChangeLog will often point at the relevant e-mail, so
burdening people with adding a direct URL seems pointless to me.  It's
pessimizing the common case for a small optimization in far less
common cases.