This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Rant about ChangeLog entries and commit messages


Eric Botcazou wrote:
FWIW, I agree completely - I've never found ChangeLogs useful, I hate
writing them, and I think the linux-kernel guys these days generally have
much better checkin messages than we do.

I guess nobody really loves writing ChangeLog entries, but in my opinion there are quite effective "executive summaries" for the patches and helpful to the reader/reviewer. Please let's not throw the baby with the bath's water.

Right, but to me an important part of the "executive summary" is why you did it. You don't go to the boss and say "I fired Joe", you go and say "I fired Joe, because ..."



Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]