This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Rant about ChangeLog entries and commit messages


Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

The comment *in the code* is lacking, other than that I don't
see much point in your rant; it's all been said before, for one.
It usually takes a while for newcomers to understand the
process, in particular the what-not-why of ChangeLogs... ;)

I actually think that often it is helpful to have the why in changelogs. Yes, this should never take the place of commments in the code, and that is a failing you want to watch out for, but sometimes a global motivation for a chage would make a changelog entry easier to understand.

If all the changelog entry says is something like

(xyz): new function

I don't see much point, since a diff can always easily tell
you *what* was changed.

brgds, H-P


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]